Sunday, December 9, 2012

FLORIDA - JULY 2012

Jerry had a conference in Miami Beach. So we went to Florida in July.... 
It's very hot there - and muggy, very muggy. I didn't love Miami Beach but we took a trip to Key West. Key West is the last Key (island) in the Florida Keys. It was a fascinating drive on a two lane highway with bridges connecting island after island. One bridge was 7 miles long. Our hotel was the furthest point south. I think I could see Cuba from the beach. The reason we went there was to see a U. S. Coast Guard Ship - the most decorated Naval vessel serving in the United States. It is now a restored museum and I was almost as
 excited about seeing it as Jerry was. 
The ship, the town, the drive there - I loved it all. 

The USCGC INGRAM
Walking through it was a very calm, quiet experience. I couldn't imagine serving on it in the middle of a war - with waves and chaos and enemy fire. The sailors still had to do their jobs. What kind of men does it take to do that? I think it takes men who understand what happens if they don't.

 I would go back there again.

0 comments: